Poor Richard’s is a place where you can feel at home
Richard Skorman was just 22 years old when he opened his first business, a used paperback store on North Tejon Street. Skorman was a senior at Colorado College when he had the opportunity to buy the stock from a book store that was closing.
Two years later, he expanded the business with an inheritance, loans and some restaurant equipment donated by his father. The idea of a bookstore where you could also get a bite to eat was a novel idea at the time. Skorman wanted people to feel welcome at Poor Richard’s Feed & Read. He wanted his customers to enjoy a comfortable place where could hang out and not feel rushed.
Poor Richard’s has evolved since then, but the environment of a place where you feel at home has never changed.
Our retail stores are:
- Poor Richard’s Books & Gifts
- Little Richard’s Toy Store
Our food services are:
- Poor Richard’s Restaurant
- Rico’s Café & Wine Bar
Throughout it’s history Poor Richard’s has been not only a downtown landmark and innovative organization that strives to have a positive impact on our customers and our community.
- We carry many fair-trade, recycled, organic and all-natural types of merchandise.
- We serve and carry many Colorado-made products.
- We support local artisans and provide a venue for local musicians and artists.
- We recognize the importance of environmental sustainability and are committed to reducing our footprint on the environment.